*Last Saturday Aubree started to get a runny nose. Worrying that she might be getting sick, I warned her that if she still had a runny nose Sunday morning she wouldn't be able to go to nursery and would have to come with me to my primary class. Sunday Aubree seemed fine, but when it was time to go to nursery she adamantly refused to go, saying, "No! I'm a little bit sick. I have to go to your class!" I allowed her to come with me for two reasons: one, perhaps she still was a little sick and I didn't want to risk getting the other kids sick, and two, I didn't want her spending two hours telling her teachers, "I'm a little bit sick," and have them wonder why I would send a sick kid to nursery. I teach the 4-5 year old kids in primary. Some weeks are good, some - not so much. This was a "not so much" day. Aubree reverted to shy-mode so she sat quietly on a chair next to me, thankfully not adding to the hullabaloo. Ultimately we made it through the lesson with only a few minor mishaps: i.e. Bryce crying for around 10 minutes (the primary president came and grabbed him) and a bowl of water that I brought for an object lesson spilled all over the floor. Good times. Aubree helped tell the story of the 10 Lepers; I think she enjoyed helping "teach" the big kids.
*Lately Aubree's been frequently requesting the story about "when Jesus died." She always listens intently and won't let me leave out any part of the story. It's clear she's even paying attention to the details because she spent a couple of days repeatedly chantin
g, "Release Barnabas!"
*Bryce continues to grow and I think I'm getting better at understanding his wants and needs. For example, I've noticed that when he gets really fussy (and he's not hungry or wet/dirty), the best course of action is to lie him on the floor or the couch on his back. Once I do that he usually calms right down and will start smiling again. I mentioned this to a friend and she commented, "I wonder if his personality will be like Mark's. I can see Mark needing to be left alone or to take a break from all the commotion on occasion." Hmmm...maybe she's right.
*One day this week I took the kids to Target. I put Aubree in the back of the cart and at one point she stood up. "Aubree," I instructed, "you need to sit down." "But Mom," she replied, "the other kids do it." I was so startled by her response that it took me a minute to reply (I thought I had a few more years before she brought up that argument). Stifling a laugh I answered, "but I'm not the other kids' mom." Now, I know that's not necessarily the most effective answer, but I felt compelled to use it. As if it's some type of rite of passage. Next time I'll say, "if the other kids jumped off a cliff, would you jump too?" Once I've used both those replies, then I will have truly entered the ranks of parenthood.
*Thursday morning we met Aubree's favorite friends, Ella and Cheyenne, at a local park that has a splash fountain. Unfortunately LOTS of other kids (mostly daycares) had the same idea, so it was quite crowded. Aubree didn't mind. She played in the fountains for a little while, then she and Cheyenne decided that the shower was just as fun and much less crowded.
* I've mentioned before that Aubree loves Cinderella. Lately, she's been greeting Bryce by saying, "Hi Bryce, sup, sup." In case you're not a Cinderella aficionado - "sup, sup" is what the little mouse Gus always says.
*When we're in the car Aubree has devised a new, and remarkably tedious, game. She asks, "Are we home yet?" over and over and over. Whatever I reply, she says the opposite. She especially likes it when I answer "yes!" when we're clearly not at home. She'll giggle, then ask, "Are we home yet?" Sadly, she doesn't ever seem to get sick of it.
*Lately Aubree's been frequently requesting the story about "when Jesus died." She always listens intently and won't let me leave out any part of the story. It's clear she's even paying attention to the details because she spent a couple of days repeatedly chantin
*Bryce continues to grow and I think I'm getting better at understanding his wants and needs. For example, I've noticed that when he gets really fussy (and he's not hungry or wet/dirty), the best course of action is to lie him on the floor or the couch on his back. Once I do that he usually calms right down and will start smiling again. I mentioned this to a friend and she commented, "I wonder if his personality will be like Mark's. I can see Mark needing to be left alone or to take a break from all the commotion on occasion." Hmmm...maybe she's right.
*One day this week I took the kids to Target. I put Aubree in the back of the cart and at one point she stood up. "Aubree," I instructed, "you need to sit down." "But Mom," she replied, "the other kids do it." I was so startled by her response that it took me a minute to reply (I thought I had a few more years before she brought up that argument). Stifling a laugh I answered, "but I'm not the other kids' mom." Now, I know that's not necessarily the most effective answer, but I felt compelled to use it. As if it's some type of rite of passage. Next time I'll say, "if the other kids jumped off a cliff, would you jump too?" Once I've used both those replies, then I will have truly entered the ranks of parenthood.
*Thursday morning we met Aubree's favorite friends, Ella and Cheyenne, at a local park that has a splash fountain. Unfortunately LOTS of other kids (mostly daycares) had the same idea, so it was quite crowded. Aubree didn't mind. She played in the fountains for a little while, then she and Cheyenne decided that the shower was just as fun and much less crowded.
* I've mentioned before that Aubree loves Cinderella. Lately, she's been greeting Bryce by saying, "Hi Bryce, sup, sup." In case you're not a Cinderella aficionado - "sup, sup" is what the little mouse Gus always says.
*When we're in the car Aubree has devised a new, and remarkably tedious, game. She asks, "Are we home yet?" over and over and over. Whatever I reply, she says the opposite. She especially likes it when I answer "yes!" when we're clearly not at home. She'll giggle, then ask, "Are we home yet?" Sadly, she doesn't ever seem to get sick of it.
4 comments:
Erin,
your kids are so cute. I love to hear the stories of the funny things they say and do. You're a great mom.
Kathy
Kevin and I loved reading your stories. We are so excited to see you next month!
Your kids are just growing up way too fast. So adorable! We're so excited to see you next month as well!
It's so fun to read about what Aubree's doing. I can't believe she is so big! The last time I saw her she was itty bitty with super long eyelases.
Post a Comment