I've been feeling overwhelmed with all the things I need to do, especially with the start of our road trip rapidly approaching, so I've responded by avoiding all of it, including blogging. Obviously that's not a wise reaction, and now I'm more behind than ever. This is me taking a baby step in the right direction.
*In January a friend put together a Homeschool Recitation Day. Every kid prepared a short memorized poem, song, or speech and then had a chance to stand and perform. Graham chose to sing the Animaniacs President's song up to Abraham Lincoln (he would have gone further, but that's a loooong song).
Aubree quoted lines from Romeo and Juliet. Bryce chose a short poem (I can't remember the title at the moment) about bluebirds.
Thane also chose a poem, "Daisies," by Frank Dempster Sherman. They all did a great job! It was so fun to get to see kids stand and present things they'd learned and prepared.
Afterwards we stayed for picnic lunches, playing in the gym, chatting with old friends, and making new connections. Graham made a new friend who was just a friend-oriented as himself. He didn't stop talking about her and begging to invite her over for a month.
*Our YM/YW groups planned a joint talent show. Aubree paired up with her friend Lily, and they decided to prepare a guitar and ukulele duet.
They were supposed to be the 6th to perform, but unexpectedly got put as the closing act of the night. They didn't mind getting final billing, but it made for an extra late night for Graham and Nellie.
Aubree and Lily had so much fun preparing for their show and performing, that they decided to officially form their own little band. They decided to call themselves the "BlueBelles," since Aubree's middle name is Blue and Lily's is Belle. They love to get together, practice instruments and singing, and write new songs.
*Bryce, Thane, and Graham have such a great weekly art class.
Their recent doughnut art pieces were especially fun.
*January also gave Bryce and Thane a chance to perform at their piano recital. They both had two short pieces. Thane thought he did a reasonably good job. He likes to play his pieces quickly.
Bryce was devastated at the end of his pieces. He had practiced carefully, but felt he made "so, so many" mistakes. His immediate response was, "I definitely want to keep taking piano lessons, but I don't want to do performances any more." He was much harder on himself than anyone else. When he watched the videos of his playing, he was surprised it wasn't as bad as he'd believed.
We thought they both did very well!








No comments:
Post a Comment