A recent conversation at our house...
Me: "Mark, did you see I wrote a new blog post?"
Mark: "Was it Utah, part 57?"
********
Saturday was a BIG day; my mom got re-married! She met her now-husband, Steve, last year through one of her community college classes (he was her anatomy lab instructor...they didn't start dating till after the class concluded).
As is typical for Graff-style weddings, the morning was totally chaotic and busy, but everything managed to get done (semi) on time. Cousin Tina set up a mini-barber shop in Kira's kitchen and cut hair left and right.
| Dallin getting his first hair cut... So long rat's tail! |
Mom decided to get married in Utah because we'd already planned the family reunion and we were all together that week. That decision, however, meant she didn't have much time to pull everything together. My sisters (rock stars that they are), helped put all the pieces together.
I was supposed to help with the food, but Lauren had that well under control. Instead, I kept thinking about how mom had said, "There's so little time, so don't worry about clothes, everyone can just wear their Sunday dress and that will be good enough."
I'm sure it would have been fine, but I thought it might be a nice surprise and gesture of affection if we arranged for all the kids and grandkids to wear coordinating outfits. The idea was sound, but the implementation proved much trickier than I'd expected. We were scrambling right up till the night before to get all we needed, but in the end I think it turned out well (alas, I have little photo evidence of this claim, since I haven't yet gotten copies of the wedding photos).
The wedding was held at the local art museum. Many old family friends made the trip out to attend, which was quite heart-warming. It's wonderful to know my mom is so well-loved.
My grandparents and aunts came too!| Grandma Joni, Steve, & Mom |
| G'ma Lis, Mom, & G'pa Bunker |
![]() |
| Mom & her terrific sisters |
Soon, however, it was time for us to hit the road. We needed to be back in Washington for the start of my first co-op soccer camp by Monday morning, and were worried about hitting terrible post-holiday traffic through Snoqualmie Pass (a la Memorial Day). With no time to lose, we started the homeward trek at 2 pm and drove and drove and drove. We left the question of stopping unanswered, figuring we'd go as long as was safe. With Mark (who doesn't like to drive at night because of poor eyesight and night blindness issues) keeping me company, we somehow managed to make it all.the.way.home, finally pulling in at 4 a.m. Washington time. I get tired just thinking about that drive!

1 comment:
That is wonderful for your mom! And what a trip...those our the most memorable ones though!
Post a Comment